Council of Elrond Rules Clarification 13
By Brian Wong
1. I previously thought that after a Flatter a Foe (and such) any hazards could
be played in response except creature cards. However, since corruption cards
must start a chain of effects, wouldn't they be prohibited from responding to a
Flattery attempt as well?
*** Yes, you cannot respond to a Flatter with a corruption card because
corruption cards must start a chain of effects.
A corruption card revealed from on guard to interrupt a chain of effects is an
exception due to the on guard rules. Flatter a Foe is a "flattery" card that
also causes an influence check/attempt so it does trigger Lure of Power.
2. Can I have over three non-unique manifestations of the same card (namely 3
Saurons & 3 Lidless Eyes) in my deck? Or does the "three non-unique maximum"
-rule apply here (eg. 2 LEs and 1 Sauron)?
*** Yes you may.
3. What's the deal with cards (Dragon's Blood, Malady) potentially forcing an
unwounded character to a body check? A character failing his body check is not
wounded (from CRF), but instead eliminated, I guess. And if the check is
successful, nothing happens, right?
*** The unwounded character facing the effects of the above two cards is
eliminated if the body check is successful, otherwise nothing happens and
character is not wounded.
4. May an ally (for example a sage) play during the site phase a permanent
event which requires a sage ? In the rules I found only that a character needs
to tap to play a faction, item or ally.
*** An ally with a specific skill may play a permanent event that requires that
specific skill as long as that card does not ask for a character.
5. Can you respond to Flatter a Foe during the M-H phase with a Foolish Words?
6. My company entered a site with a dragon aa and an at home dragon. I was
told that my company must face the dragon at home manifestation first
*** That is incorrect. You face the site's regular auto attack first.
7. Can at home manifestations be played onguard & if so, when is that attack
*** Yes, and the attack is faced after the regular auto attack just as if the
at home manifestation was in play all the time.
8. I've never used the hybrid movement cards Forod or Harad before. The card
texts state that the site path is www. By applying the "if it ain't there, it
ain't there" credo, can I assume that this means hazard creatures are not
keyable to the destination site?
*** Hazard creatures are still keyable to the destination site as well as the
region name of origin and destination.
9. Can a wizard's prowess for True Fana can be modified by weapons or is it
just the wizard's innate (possibly modified by spells, environments, events)
*** The wizard's prowess for True Fana can be modified by weapons.
10. Does Forewarned is Forearmed affect the attacks from resource cards such as
Smoke on the Wind?
*** No, Forewarned is Forearmed does not affect the attacks from resource cards
such as Smoke on the Wind.
11. A player cannot put Wizard's Ring on Rumours of Rings from his sideboard
and then play it from RoR, right?
12. One can't force a player to discard a Wizard's Ring by playing Rolled Down
to the Sea because it's not a ring.
13. Say I face a hazard. I try to cancel the hazard. My opponent plays Many
Sorrows Befall. I play another canceller. My opponent plays Mouth followed by
Many Sorrows Befall again. Do all of these actions stack up and resolve with
the end result that the attack is NOT cancelled OR as the events stack up, is
the Many Sorrows still "in" the stack and thus not yet discarded and available
to the Mouth for recycling?
scenario 2: hazard/canceller/Many Sorrows/Canceller/Mouth but Many Sorrows
still "in" stack and unavailable for recycling with net result that the
attack is cancelled and the Mouth can fish a haz from discard pile..
*** Scenario 2 is correct.
14. What is the definition of a follower? More specific: is an ally a follower?
*** MELE Companion pg.23: "A character [with enough direct influence]... may
take control of [another] character, who then becomes a follower of the
ie. A follower is a character who is under the controlling direct influence of
An ally is not a follower.
15. When an opponent puts a card on guard (and is bluffing, e.g. by placing a
character) and I play Withdrawn to Mordor, must he discard his cards or must
his on-guard card have an effect on the game in order for it to be targeted by
*** Withdrawn to Mordor must be played before the on-guard card is revealed.
Regardless of what the card is, it is discarded without it being revealed to
the resource player, unless he/she is Pallando of course.
16. Deep Mines may be duplicated in your site deck, right? Does that mean I can
put it in twice? Or more?
*** If a site can be duplicated, you may have as many copies of it as you want
in your site deck.
17. The WH rules insert states that hero havens (Lorien, Rivendell, etc) are
not havens for Fallen Wizards. This left us wondering what site type they were
*** Hero havens to Fallen Wizards are still a haven site type but they just
don't get the benefits of havens there.
18. Why there is a prowess modifier on the FellRider-Card? As all Ringwraiths
have prowess-modifiers for this card this seems to be needless. Do both
*** Both modifiers are applied.
19. Are overt FW companies considered minion companies when entering the minion
version of the ff. sites: Edhellond, Grey Havens, Lórien, and Rivendell? Can
they attack hero companies at these hero Havens or is the attack canceled?
*** A minion company for a FW is one with Orcs or Trolls in it. A FW company
can be overt without being a minion company but they still must use minion
sites for hero Havens. An overt FW company without Orcs or Trolls in it may
attack a hero company at a hero Haven without the attack being
20. Will two Balrog players be allowed to play against each other in sanctioned
*** Yes but the first Balrog character played makes that player the Balrog for
the rest of the game. Balrog specific cards may still be played by both
players but the player without the Balrog character in play may not play cards
that require the Balrog character.
Brian "No Cheeze" Wong