Return to Rules Page
Middle-earth: Collectible Card Game Collected Official Rulings File
current as of September 15th, 1997.
READ THIS FIRST
The main thing to remember, when making rulings based on the rules and the cards, is
that if it isn't there, then it isn't there. If a card says a site counts as a Haven for
purposes of healing, that does not mean it counts as a Haven for any other purposes. If a
card says it can be played as a resource, that does not mean it counts as a resource at
any time except when it is being played. Remember: If it isn't there, it isn't there.
The second thing to remember is check all possible factors. In order to save space, the
rulings are not duplicated or cross referenced in the various relevant sections. Be sure
to check the rules, rules annotations, card texts, and card errata first; and then check
all relevant phase rulings, term rulings, and card rulings. And if you are in a tournament
be sure to check those rulings also.
These are clarifications to the rules for the Middle-earth: Collectible Card Game,
except where noted as errata. Unless otherwise stated, they assume you are playing the
one-deck standard game.
This rulings file will be updated every now and then. Items marked in blue with an @ are either new,
changed, or certified full of assistant editor infestations for the latest update.
The official netrep, rules archivist, and Crossing-guard of Mordor is Craig
"Ichabod" O'Brien <firstname.lastname@example.org>
The official website's URL is http://www.ironcrown.com/ Middle-earth rulings are
also on Ichabod's website at http://www.cstone.net/~ichabod/
The best way to get questions answered is to post them to the usenet newsgroup rec.games.trading-cards.misc with [METW],
[MELE], or [MECCG] in the subject. The second best way is to join the mailing list by
emailing email@example.com with
"subscribe metw <your email address>" in the body of the message, and ask
the question on the mailing list. The third best way is to email the netrep at the above address.
- TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Turn Sequence Rulings
- Rulings by Term
- Tournament Rulings
- Card Errata and Rulings
A. Beginning of the Game
- If a character is put in the deck due to duplication in the starting company, then it
does not count against the 10 character limit.
- Either draw numbers for the whole game or roll dice for the whole game.
B. Untap Phase
- Corruption checks triggered at the end of this phase happen after everyone untaps.
C. Organization Phase
Choosing a New Site
- Rules Erratum: When a company splits any of the resulting companies can move with region
movement. Region movement is not limited to one company of a split.
- Any single site path cannot have more than one copy of a particular region.
- Any company may declare as its new site a site already on the table. That site will
remain on the table at least until the end of that company's movement/hazard phase.
- Two companies may not start at the same site and move to the same new site.
- @ Effects that are played during the organization phase, and
depend on the site or site path of a moving company, create an effect which is not
declared until the new site is revealed. If the site or site path is not of the
appropriate type when the effect resolves, the resource has no effect.
- A character cannot use a bonus to direct influence against "Blue Mountain
Dwarves" to control characters with the home site Blue Mountain Dwarf-hold.
- Bonuses to direct influence against characters apply only once, not for each character.
- If a company splits up, their player chooses which characters are the original company
and which characters are a new company, unless otherwise directed by a card. All resource
permanent-events played on the original company stay with the original company.
- Company composition changes, including bringing a character into play, must all be done
at the same time during the organization phase. During this time no other actions may be
- Rules Erratum: You may play a character if you do not have enough influence to control
them. However, if there are any characters you do not have the influence to control at the
end of your organization phase, the character you brought into play this turn must be
returned to your hand.
- Minions who roll equal to or one less than their accumulated corruption when storing an
item are only tapped.
D. Long Event Phase
E. Movement/Hazard Phase
- Annotation 25: A company is considered to be at the site given by its site card at all
times except from the moment their new site card is revealed during their movement/hazard
phase until their old site card is discarded during the same movement/hazard phase. During
this period a company is considered to be en route between sites and not at any site.
- Annotation 26: If at the start of a movement/hazard phase there are multiple effects in
play such that their net effect depends on the order they are applied, the player who is
currently not taking his turn decides the order in which they are to be applied. Once this
interpretation is established, all further actions are applied in the order they are
resolved for the rest of the turn.
- Once the effects of an environment card have been applied to a target during a given
movement/hazard phase, that effect is not applied again to that target during the current
- Resource cards cannot be played between the movement/hazard phases of two different
- You do not have to decide how many cards you want to draw before you start to draw them.
- Companies at the same non-haven/non-darkhaven site must join at the end of all
movement/hazard phases, before the site phase starts. Companies at the same
haven/darkhaven site may join at this time.
- If companies would join at the end of the movement/hazard phase such that the company
composition rules are violated, one company of the hazard player's choice must return to
its site of origin.
- If two companies join at a site, cards affecting one of the companies now affect them
- A company's movement/hazard phase is concluded when both players agree to reconcile
their hand sizes. No actions may be taken until the site phase or until both players have
drawn cards for the movement of a following company.
- Side effects of losing a character are resolved immediately after the character is lost,
before other characters resolve their strikes.
- If an attack states all characters in a company face a strike, then effects which allow
a character to face more than one strike have no effect against the attack. Similarly,
effects that change the attack's number of strikes have no effect. As an exception,
effects which reduce the number of strikes to a specific number do work.
The Strike Sequence
- Annotation 16: When a wounded character becomes unwounded, he is considered in his
history to have been wounded and must face any special actions the wounding strike
- Annotation 17: The only actions that may be declared during a strike sequence are those
outlined in Annotation 18.
- Annotation 18: When a defending player chooses to resolve a strike against a particular
character, the only actions that may be taken by either player until the strike dice-roll
is made are the following: play hazard cards that affect the strike, the attacker may
decide to use any or all of his remaining -1 modifications due to strikes in excess of the
company's size, a target untapped character may take a -3 modification so that he will not
automatically tap, and the defending character may play resource cards that affect the
strike. An action that has the condition that a target character tap, but which otherwise
has an effect not outlined here, may not be declared at this point. This is true even if
the recipient of the strike would be the target character tapping and thus receive -1 to
- Annotation 19: Following each successful strike or failed strike, a body check must be
rolled (unless the failed strike has no body). However, if the strike calls for any
special actions to follow it (e.g., a character wounded by "William" may be
required to discard his items), these special actions are resolved before the body check.
The body check is the first declared action in a nested chain of effects that immediately
follows the strike dice-roll and special actions resulting from the strike. Other actions
may be declared in response to a body check, in the same chain of effects, but these are
limited to those actions that directly affect the body check dice-roll. E.g., Tookish
Blood could not be declared in response to the body check caused by Giant Spiders wounding
a Hobbit. No action may be declared in response to a special action resulting from a
strike unless the special action is a dice-rolling action, i.e., a special action is
generally considered synonymous with the strike dice-roll. If the special action is a
dice-rolling action, an action may be declared in response to it if the action directly
affects the dice-roll.
- Annotation 20: If more than one special action is to follow a strike, the defending
player decides the order they are resolved.
- Annotation 21: A successful strike against a character is synonymous with that character
being wounded, i.e., inverting a character card on the playing surface is not a separate
action from the successful strike.
- Wounded characters only suffer a -2 prowess. In general, wounded characters are not
- Non-item prowess bonuses are applied in the order the player controlling the character
- If a company does not move it still has a movement/hazard phase. No cards are drawn for
the company and the only hazards that can be played on the company are creatures that can
be keyed to the company's site and events.
- Lebennin and Ithilien are not adjacent, even though they look that way on some maps.
- @ If a company moves twice in one turn, resources played during
the organization phase, like Secret Passage, are reapplied to the company at the beginning
of each of their movement/hazard phases.
- Some hazard permanent-events allow you to tap or discard them for an effect, and this
counts against the hazard limit unless specified otherwise on the card.
- Hazards may only be played on a company whose movement/hazard phase is being resolved.
Long-events and permanent-events may effect more than one company even though they are
only played "on" one company.
- If a card must be keyed to two or more instances of a region type, those region types do
not have to be consecutive in the site path.
- If you say you are done playing hazards and your opponent plays a resource before the
movement/hazard phase ends, you may then continue playing hazards, assuming you have not
yet reached the hazard limit.
- If a company is moving from a surface site to an Under-deeps site, hazards may not be
played keyed to the region of the surface site.
- Angmar Arises, In Darkness Bind Them, and Reaching Shadow may not be used to play
creatures keyed to double shadow-lands.
Returning to Site of Origin
- If a company returns to its site of origin, its site path immediately disappears.
- An effect that returns a company to its site of origin may not be declared in the middle
of an attack.
F. Site Phase General
- Items, factions and allies must be played during the site phase..
- There is no one resource card per site phase rule
- The site taps upon successful play of the resource that would tap it.
Company vs. Company Combat
- The defender may take actions that affect the attack or any of the strikes. The attacker
may only take actions that affect individual strikes.
- True Fana and Sacrifice of Form cannot be used in company versus company combat.
Exploring A Site/Automatic-attacks
- A card that can cancel an attack can cancel an automatic-attack, and this counts as
facing the automatic-attack.
- Automatic-attacks added to a site are faced after the normal automatic-attacks for the
site. Multiple automatic-attacks are faced in the order listed and/or resolved.
- Company composition and overt/covert status is checked before each automatic attack
- @ Hazards have no effect on company vs. company combat.
- It is not possible to influence an item away from a Wizard or Ringwraith.
- You may influence a Hobbit if you are not at Bag End.
- A successful influence attempt on an opponent's resource does not tap the site.
- Rules Erratum: An on-guard may only be revealed if it could have also been played during
the movement/hazard phase. This means all targets of the card must have existed during the
movement/hazard phase in order for the card to be revealed.
- A revealed on-guard card retroactively takes effect as though it were both declared and
resolved immediately prior to the chain of effects during which it was revealed.
- An on-guard card my be revealed when the company plays resource that potentially taps
the site. The card must affect the company or a character in the company that site phase.
Note that this clarification is looser than the rule printed on p.61 of the Unlimited
- A successful ring test does not allow an on-guard card to be revealed.
- You may reveal a card in response to an influence attempt against a faction even if the
on-guard card only has an effect if the attempt is successful. You may also reveal a card
in response to such an attempt that affects the actual influence attempt.
- Only declared or on-going cards and effects can be considered when determining the
validity of revealing an on-guard card. Potential effects that have not been triggered
cannot be considered.
- A card cannot be revealed that returns a company to its site of origin.
- A card cannot be revealed that taps a company's site.
- A card cannot be revealed that potentially removes a character from a company.
- A card cannot be revealed that forces a company to do nothing during its site phase.
- A card that potentially removes an ally from the company can be revealed, so long as it
otherwise is legal.
- A card may not be revealed that taps a character in the company.
- The on-guard card is not considered to be in any player's hand.
- @ When an on-guard card is revealed, it immediately ceases to be
considered an on-guard card.
G. End-of-Turn Phase
- End-of-Turn effects are triggered by the ending of the End of Turn phase. Once both
players are done with all actions in the End of Turn phase, all End of Turn effects are
declared and resolved in the order chosen by the current player.
- @ Cards may be played during the End-of-Turn phase after hand size
has been reconciled.
H. Free Council
- You can be brought down to 0 points in a category due to negative marshalling points.
- Characters may tap to aid corruption checks.
- Long- and permanent-events still in play will still have an effect.
- Only resources that directly affect corruption checks may be played during the Free
- Tapping a resource can only be done at a time when you could otherwise play a resource
- An active condition must be in play or established when the action requiring it is
declared. Active conditions serve as the price of an action. They are restrictions on the
player invoking the action.
- Annotation 5: If an action requires an entity to tap as a condition for the action's
main effect, that entity must be untapped when the action is declared; else, the action
may not be declared. Tap the entity at this point; this is considered synonymous with the
action's declaration, i.e., it is not a separate action. When it comes time to resolve the
action in its chain of effects, that entity must still be in play and tapped or the action
- Annotation 6: If an action requires an entity to be discarded as a condition for the
action's main effect, that entity must be discarded when the action is declared; this is
considered synonymous with the action's declaration, i.e., it is not a separate action.
- Annotation 7: If any other active condition for an action does not exist when the action
is resolved, the action has no effect; if the action were playing a card from your hand,
it is discarded.
- Annotation 8: An action that requires a target is considered to have the active
condition that the target be in play when the action is declared and when it is resolved.
An action may not be declared if its target is not in play. However, dice-rolling actions
may always be targeted by other actions declared later in the same chain of effects.
- When a card mentions an alternate use, the active conditions given in the beginning of
the card text need only be met if they are also mentioned by the alternate use.
- Your opponent's resources may be the active conditions for your resources, but may not
be the targets for your resources.
- Rules Erratum: A tapped agent may take an action to untap (i.e., move from tapped status
to untapped status).
- Rules Erratum: An agent may tap to play creatures at a site if the company is moving to
- Playing a card that makes an agent attack is considered the attack's declaration.
- Agents are not creatures.
- Rolls made by agents during combat are done simultaneously with rolls made by characters
during combat, after step 4 of the strike sequence.
- Only face-up agents are considered for uniqueness.
- While in play agents played as hazards may not become minion characters, and agents
played as minion characters may not become hazards.
- An agent played as a character in a Ringwraith deck can only be played at his home site.
- When constructing a Ringwraith deck, agents are always considered characters.
- To wound an agent you only need to defeat the prowess of one strike. To eliminate one
you must defeat the prowess and body for all strikes.
- Revealed agents may return to their homesite, even if they are at one of their
- Cards played on an agent remain face up when the agent turns face down.
- If one Ahunt is out and you move through four of the regions listed on it, then you face
the attack once.
- Allies may tap to cancel attacks from Slayers and Assassins.
- Allies cannot be targeted to be taken prisoner, and otherwise cannot be taken prisoner.
- Allies that may not be attacked by certain attacks may still tap to give +1 prowess to
characters facing such attacks.
- Playing an ally is not an influence attempt.
- If an ally's controller leaves play for any reason, that ally is discarded.
- @ Allies can be healed as if they were characters.
- Annotation 12: An attack is considered to be resolved and concluded when the final
strike, all special actions resulting from the final strike, and the associated body check
- Annotation 13: An attack may not be cancelled once its strikes have been assigned. A
strike may not be cancelled once the dice-roll for the strike has been made.
- Annotation 14: A cancelled attack has no effect on its target company, except that the
company is considered in its history to have faced the attack.
- Annotation 15: An attack must be the first declared action in a chain of effects, i.e.,
a creature card may not be played in response to another card in the same chain of
effects. Revealing an on-guard creature is an exception.
- In order to cancel an attack or to directly affect an attack, the character doing so
must be in the company facing the attack. Note that the region/site type a hazard creature
was keyed to can be affected otherwise.
- Cards only modify attacks if they say they do.
- When a minion company defeats an attack with no * by the MPs, the creature goes to the
out-of-play pile belonging to the person who played the attack.
- Excess strikes applied as -1 modifiers do not have to have their body defeated
- @ Any effect that would change the number of a strikes for an
attack may not be played after strikes are assigned. This includes cards that have other
additional effects, and cards that only indirectly change the number of strikes.
- After a successful burglary attempt, another character may tap to play a minor item.
- The character who fails the burglary roll must face the automatic-attack as though he
were a one-character company. He can receive no combat support other than what he himself
- On-guard creatures are faced after a Burglaring attempt regardless of the success of the
- Annotation 22: When a character fails a body check, his items may be immediately
reassigned to unwounded character in his company. Reassigning of the eliminated
character's items is considered to be synonymous with his failed body check, i.e., no
action may take place between the failed check and reassigning the items. Unassigned items
- Effects that modify a character's body also modify the number an Orc or Troll would be
discarded on. A maximum to body applies equally to the discard number.
- If an Orc or Troll could be discarded and eliminated by a result, discard them instead
of eliminating them.
- @ "Affecting the body check" includes modifying the die
roll or the body of the character making the check.
Cannot be Duplicated
- Short-events that cannot be duplicated cannot be played if a card of the same name is
currently having an effect on play.
- Annotation 11 (modified from its original version): Some cards cannot be duplicated in
limited cases -- generally on a specific target. Multiple copies of these cards or their
effects may be in play normally, so long as each applies to a different target. A card
that cannot be duplicated can be played when a copy is already in play only if the copy in
play is currently being targeted by an effect that will discard it.
Card Effect Limitations
- A character enacting an effect counts as a character in his company.
- A character in play must always be in one of three independent states: untapped, tapped,
- @ You can have three of a non-unique character in your deck.
- If all characters in a company are removed from the company, all resource
permanent-events played on the company as a whole are discarded.
- @ If all characters in a company leave play, the site goes to the
location deck or discard pile, depending on its tapped status. If this happens during the
movement/hazard phase, the site card stays in play until the end of all movement/hazard
phases. In this case, on-guard cards may still be played on the site.
- @ The following allies make a company overt: The Balrog, Creature
of an Older World, Great Bats, Great Lord of Goblin-gate, Last Child of Ungoliant,
Regiment of Black Crows, and Two-headed Troll.
- Annotation 23: When a character fails a corruption check, the standard effects of this
(i.e., the character being discarded or eliminated and his items being discarded) are
implemented immediately and are considered synonymous with the failed check. A card
causing the corruption check may modify the standard effects of a failed check (e.g. The
Precious), but this timing would not be changed. Certain cards, e.g., Traitor, which do
not cause a corruption check, but specify an action that results from the passive
condition of a failed check, take effect as the first declared action in a chain of
effects immediately following the chain of effects that contains the corruption check.
- @ Characters with 0 corruption points must still make corruption
- A character may attempt to remove a corruption card without tapping. The roll is at -3.
A corruption card may only be attempted to be removed once per turn if the tapping
requirement is ignored.
- You can not attempt to remove a corruption card without tapping if you have attempted to
remove that card already this turn.
- The resolution of a character tapping to give +1 to a corruption check happens when the
corruption check itself resolves.
- If an effect is in play that prevents a character from being discarded, the character is
not considered to fail his corruption check if a result is achieved that would discard
him. A Wizard would not be eliminated and his player would not lose the game.
- Whenever an effect targeting a hero refers to Darkhavens, interpret it as referring to
- @ Attacks at Darkhavens are canceled only if the company is at the
- When a strike from a detainment attack succeeds, the character who was facing that
particular strike must tap.
- Detainment attacks that would force item discards normally do not force discards while
they are detainment attacks.
- A discarded character may be brought into play again by any player.
- When a card is discarded, so are all permanent-events on that card.
- Cards discarded from a player's hand must be discarded one at a time as separate
- Whenever a character is discarded, all non-follower cards played with that character are
- When a card is eliminated, all permanent-events on that card are discarded.
- Permanent-events discarded when the play deck is exhausted are shuffled into the new
play deck along with the rest of the discard pile.
Gold Ring Item
- When a gold ring item is tested, the ring is discarded and its marshalling points are
lost whether or not you are able to play a special item.
- Ring special items played as a result of storing a ring at a Dark Haven will come into
- @ Special items, played after a ring test from storing a gold ring
item, come into play stored.
- Effects which increase your hand size or allow you to hold one more card in your hand
mean you draw up to your new hand size or discard down to it at the appropriate points
during the game.
- Havens can tap.
- Whenever an effect targeting a minion refers to a Haven, interpret as a Darkhaven
- If a Hobbit is a starting character and leaves play, then it may only be brought back
into play normally at Bag End.
- Restricted direct influence is limited in its use, usually to characters and/or factions
of specific races. Unrestricted direct influence has no restrictions on its use.
- When a character suffers a minus to direct influence, it must come from unrestricted
direct influence first. If there is no unrestricted influence and there are multiple
instances of restricted direct influence, the player may choose which restricted direct
influence the minus is applied to.
- If a card reduces direct influence, making it illegal for a follower to be controlled,
the follower does need to be controlled until their next organization phase.
- A character removed from the control of direct influence outside the organization phase
does not need to be controlled by general influence until their next organization phase.
- The "free" minor item may only be played immediately after playing the
resource that taps that site.
Marshalling Point Pile
- Under standard rules, no more than half of your marshalling points can come from any one
type of marshalling point. Do not round up.
- You may not target hazards in your opponent's marshalling point pile for removal.
May not Untap
- Nothing may untap a character who is the subject of an effect that states the character
may not untap.
MELE vs. METW
- Hero items may not be used as conditions for minion resources, and minion items may not
be used as conditions for hero resources.
- If you are playing against a deck with three Wizards in it, you may play any combination
of three Ringwraiths, except one each of three different Ringwraiths.
- Hero characters may now cancel automatic-attacks at their homesite, regardless of their
- You may not have both the minion and hero version of a unique item in your deck.
- Minion characters are not affected by cards that target agents.
- Only the player to the left of the moving player may take advantage of drawing cards,
including cards drawn for events like The Nazgul are Abroad and From the Pits of Angbad.
- All players reset their hand size when any turn or movement/hazard phase ends.
- In multi-player games the following hazards count as 1/2 a creature: hazards that can be
played as events or creatures, Ahunt Dragon manifestations, and At Home Dragon
manifestations. Agents in a Wizard deck also count as 1/2 creatures.
- You may only play The Lidless Eye if none of your opponents are Ringwraiths.
- Twilight may only be played by the moving player and the hazard player. As an exception,
a player who's own environment will be discarded by an environment may play Twilight to
cancel that environment.
- @ For Spying out the Land and Here is a Snake, each hazard player
shows hazards immediately before he draws and/or plays hazards, and then can only play
those hazards. Players who are not playing hazards are not required to show hazards.
- @ Normal means as written on the card, not considering other
- If a Nazgūl is tapped to become a short-event as printed on its card, it turns into a
short-event upon declaration. At this point, the Nazgul is a short-event just as if had
been played as such from your hand.
- The body referred to in the text of female characters with combat bonuses against Nazgūl
is the body of the Nazgūl
- If a character is facing two strikes, and the first strike kills the character, the
second strike is considered successful.
- A character tapping to face two strikes is at -3 prowess against both strikes. The
character taps when resolving the second strike.
- For recently visited sites in multi-player games, the automatic-attack gets +1 for each
player who has that site in their discard pile.
- A passive condition causes an action to happen as stated on a card already in play.
- Annotation 9: If a card specifies that an action is to occur as a result of some
specific passive condition, this action becomes automatically the first action declared in
the chain of effects to immediately follow the chain of effects producing the passive
condition. The passive condition must exist when this resulting action is resolved in its
own chain of effects, or the action is cancelled. Note that actions in the strike sequence
follow a different set of rules.
- Annotation 10: If more than one action is required to be the first action declared in a
chain of effects, the player whose turn it is chooses the order in which they are
declared. No other actions may be declared in this follow-up chain until the multiple
required actions have been declared.
- A card causing an action as a result of a passive condition must be in play when the
action resolves, or else the action is cancelled.
- When something would be discarded by a passive condition, that discard is considered
simultaneous with the resolution of the passive condition.
- @ Any revealed cards are shown to all players.
- You may have any number of Ringwraiths in your sideboard, as long as you do not
duplicate more than one of them in the combined deck and sideboard.
- Characters with combat bonuses against Nazgul also get those bonuses against
- Ringwraith followers may still use magic as printed on their card.
- Any card requiring a sage to play is a sage only card.
- Short-events are discarded when resolved in a chain of effects, not when declared. Thus,
they can be targeted by certain special effects in the chain of effects.
- The sideboard is increased to 25 cards.
- You can access hazards from your sideboard when your opponent's Wizard is in play. You
must declare this at the end of your opponent's untap phase and then access hazards as if
you had tapped a Nazgūl permanent-event to do so. The hazard limit against all of your
opponent's companies that turn is halved, rounded up.
- Tapping a Nazgūl to bring cards in from the sideboard does not turn the Nazgūl into a
- To untap a site the character doing so must be at that site.
- Certain cards refer to the site's site path. The site's site path is always the site
path given on the site card, regardless of how the company got to that site.
- Events can alter both a site's site path and a company's site path.
- @ Two or more skill cards may be played by a single character
outside of combat.
- @ Two skill cards may not be declared by one character against a
- An action that is played out through one or more specific entities as stated on a card
or in the rules is considered to "target" the entities. A targeted entity is
said to be a "target" of the action. A card that acts on a class of entities
does not target them.
- Annotation 1: A card is not in play until it is resolved in its chain of effects. When
the play of a card is declared, no elements of the card may be the target of actions
declared in the same chain of effects. An exception to this is a dice-rolling action, e.g.
a corruption check.
- Annotation 2: A corruption check or any dice-rolling action can be targeted in the chain
of effects during which it was declared.
- Annotation 3: Long-events and certain other cards do not have targets because they are
not played out through one specific entity, i.e., they generally affect an entire class of
- Annotation 4: An action may not target a face-down card nor any element of a face down
card. Face down cards include unrevealed new site cards and on-guard cards.
- You cannot target an opponent's character or resources with your own resources.
- The validity of an effect, including the hazard limit, is checked upon declaration and
- Annotation 24: If a card specifies that more than one action occur when the card itself
is resolved in a chain of effects, all of these actions are to be resolved in the card's
chain of effects uninterrupted and in the order listed on the card. No actions may be
declared to occur between these multiple actions. The actions listed on the card are
considered to have been declared in the reverse order as they are printed.
- (amendment to original version of Annotation 24): As an exception, if one of the effects
of a card is an attack, cards may be played that cancel the attack, cancel one of its
strikes, or that otherwise are playable during the strike sequence--see Annotation 18.
- Annotation 27: If a card has optional effects, the player playing the card must choose
which will take place. He must do this at the time the card is played, not when it is
resolved in its chain of effects. When such a card is resolved, if any active conditions
for the choice of effects do not exist, the card has no effect and is discarded. The
player may not at this point choose to implement an alternative effect of the card.
- Creatures whose marshalling points are listed with an * give marshalling points when
used as trophies.
- Defeated Dragon manifestations can be used as trophies.
- Trophies can be discarded to satisfy thief creatures.
- Marshalling points with companies at an Under-deeps site do not count only for the
purposes of calling the Free Council. They do count at the actual Council itself.
- When a company's site of origin is an Under-deeps site and the company reveals a new
site at the start of its movement/hazard phase, the company is declaring it will make a
roll to determine if the movement was successful. No cards can be played between the site
being revealed and the roll except for Reach of Ulmo.
- At an Under-deeps site, after a successful rescue attempt, a character can tap for a
minor item only.
- @ Automatic-attacks that allow the revealing of creature cards are
not stopped by Stealth or Secret Entrance.
- You may put two of the same Wizard in your deck, or you may put one copy each of two
different Wizards in your deck.
- Tournament rulings are modifications and additions to the rules presented in the
Unlimited Edition rulesbook that are required for sanctioned Council of Lórien tournament
- Dice must be used to obtain random numbers.
- There is a required 30 card minimum for both resources and hazards for sanctioned
- Up to 3 copies of one Wizard or Ringwraith is allowed in a play deck, or up to 2 copies
of one and 1 copy of another . One copy each of three different Wizards or Ringwraiths is
- @ All Ringwraith/Sauron players always have +5 unused general
influence at all times. This bonus general influence can never be used to control
- Cards that can be played as either hazards or resources may count as either for purposes
of deck construction.
- Each deck must contain at least 12 creatures.
- The following count as 1/2 a creature for deck construction: hazards that can be played
as creatures or events, At Home Dragon manifestations, Ahunt Dragon manifestations and
agents. Note that agents count as characters in Ringwraith decks, not as 1/2 creatures.
- @ You may play with three Ringwraiths in your play deck, as long
as they are not three different Ringwraiths.
- @ You may place Ringwraiths or Wizards in your sideboard, as long
as only one of them is duplicated in the deck and sideboard combined, and you have only
Ringwraiths or only Wizards in the deck and sideboard combined.
The Character Draft
- The starting character pool consists of 10 characters.
- Each player reveals one character at a time from their pool, simultaneously with their
opponent. Non-duplicated characters go into the starting parties, duplicated characters
are put aside and not allowed in either starting company. Each player continues until they
want to stop, they have 20 points of mind in their starting company, or they have five
characters in their starting company.
- Ringwraith players may start with 6 characters in the character draft
- If one player stops revealing characters, the other one may continue to play characters.
- No player may reveal a character that would bring his starting company's total mind over
- When players are finished, each may put up to 10 characters into their deck, including
characters from his starting pool that did not end up in the starting company.
Great Secrets Buried There
- If you play this card as a hazard on your opponent, you must be able to provide your
opponent with a copy of any uncommon Under-deeps sites if he does not have a copy in his
- @ If you give an Under-deeps site to your opponent, it will return
to your location deck when they are done with it, unless you have also used the site, in
which case it returns to your discard pile.
- Maps of the regions of MECCG may be used in place of region cards in Council of Lórien
tournaments. If two companies move on the same turn, then the second company does not have
to determine the site path to its new site until the beginning of it's movement/hazard
- @ Wizard companies cannot use starter movement to or from sites in
Gorgoroth. If using region movement to or from sites in Gorgoroth, they must move from a
site in Imlad Morgul, through either Nurn or Udun, or use a movement enhancer like Ash
Mountains or Eagle-mounts. Such sites may be reached normally with Under-deeps movement.
- @ Ringwraith/Sauron players may have starting companies at Dol
Guldur and/or Minas Morgul. A Ringwraith may also be brought into play at Dol Guldur,
Minas Morgul, or his home site.
The Weakest Link Method
- If there is a tie at the Free Council, add one corruption point to each non-Wizard in
play. Each character then makes a corruption check and marshalling points are recounted.
- Continue this until there is no longer a tie or until all non-Wizard characters are
- Card Erratum: Change "...gives -1 penalty to one..." to "...modifies any
one character's body by -1 for the rest of the turn.
- Card Erratum: Change ":he must tap and make a corruption check immediately
following the attack." to ": he must make a corruption check immediately
following the attack, and, if untapped, he must tap."
- Alatar can force someone to draw 0 cards when he moves.
- When Alatar uses his special ability he must face a strike, regardless of anything that
would normally prevent him from facing a strike.
- Alatar must teleport and declare he is facing a strike before any other strikes are
- Allies Alatar controls are discarded when he teleports.
- Card Erratum: Add "May not be duplicated on a given Palantś."
- Align Palantś can be stored.
Army of the Dead
- Card Erratum: Add "May not be influenced by an opponent."
A Short Rest
- This card only allows the extra card draw for moving companies that actually have a site
- If an attack from Assassin is given more than one strike, each additional strike becomes
an excess strike (-1 prowess modification) against the attacked character. An Assassin can
never assign strikes to more than one character.
- You may decide to cancel one of the attacks after facing another attack.
- @ Card Errata: Gives 2 MP, not 1.
Aware of Their Ways
- Consider sites to be unique cards for the play of this card.
- Read "If Baduila is discarded" as "If you choose to discard
Balance of Things
- Balance of Things may be revealed as an on-guard card so long as at least one character
in the company during whose site phase Balance of Things is revealed carries at least one
Balrog of Moria
- You cannot get the MP from a Balrog of Moria that you played.
Bane of the Ithil-stone
- Bane of the Ithil-stone will only cancel effects outside of normal play as outlined in
- If a card has multiple effects, Bane will only cancel those effects that concern
searching through decks and discard piles.
Bill the Pony
- Card Erratum: The body should be 10, not 6.
- Bill's special ability may not be used at an under-deeps site.
Book of Mazarbul
- Card Erratum: Replace "tap the bearer during the organization phase" with
"tap Book of Mazarbul during your organization phase."
- If you fail the roll for the Burglary, you cannot then play an item.
Chance of Being lost
- Chance of Being Lost will change your site path.
- @ Does not receive benefits from itself, although it is effected
by other Chill Dousers played previously in the turn on the same company.
- @ Cancels creatures keyed by region type, not by name.
Corsairs of the Umbar
- Card Erratum: Add "May also be played at any sites in Elven Shores, Eriadoran
Coast, Andrast Coast, Bay of Belfalas, or Mouths of the Anuin."
Cracks of Doom
- Card Erratum: Add "Only playable during the site phase." Remove
"Otherwise, discard the One Ring."
- Card Erratum: Replace "Minas Morgul" with "Imlad Morgul."
- This card can be played on a company using region movement to leave a site in an
- Card Erratum: This is a short-event, not a long-event.
Deftness of Agility
- The extra strike is dealt with in a separate strike sequence.
Despair of the Heart
- The corruption check occurs before the body check.
- Card Erratum: Replace "his body check is modified by -1." with "his body
is modified by -1 for the resulting body check."
- If the body check forced by Dragon's Blood fails, the character is not wounded.
- Playing Dragon's Desolation to make a Dragon playable at a Ruins & Lairs does not
necessarily require you to play a Dragon later in the turn.
- Card Erratum: Replace "Otherwise, the attack is cancelled." with
"Otherwise, the attack is cancelled and the opponent must reveal his hand."
- This card can be played regardless of how much of the hazard limit is used up, and may
also be played against an automatic-attack. The opponent must discard a hazard creature
from his hand if he has one.
- Card Erratum: Remove "Cannot be duplicated."
- Dwar must already be in a mode to use this card.
Dwarven Rings (all)
- Give +7 to direct influence.
Dwarven Ring of Barin's Tribe
- The site has to be untapped to use this ring.
Dwarven Ring of Bavor's/Druin's Tribe
- Card Erratum: One "reshuffle the play deck" is sufficient.
Dwarven Ring of Thelor's/Thrar's Tribe
- Card Erratum: Values in parenthesis and brackets apply to Dwarf bearer. The prowess/body
modifications should read: "+2(4)/+1."
- When Elf-song saves a character from being discarded it also saves that character's
- @ Elf-song will effectively stop influence attempts against
- Can cancel a strike keyed to two or more wilderness.
Emerald of the Mariner
- The Emerald is considered a source of 0 corruption.
- Card Erratum: Replace "as a minor item" with "in addition to an ally or
faction which has been successfully been played at Wellinghall."
- Cannot be played on a wounded character.
- Can be played even if there are no Wilderness in play.
Fate of the Ithil-stone
- @ Fate of the Ithil-stone must be tapped before entering Barad-dūr,
in order to rotate it 180 degrees.
Favor of the Valar
- Favor of the Valar requires you to draw 8 cards, not to your hand size.
- This card can be played and resolved before any Nazgūl is played with it. A Nazgūl
must be played as the first declared action in the chain of effects following the
resolution of Fell Beast, or else this card is returned to its player's hand. This card
can be played on an existing Nazgūl attack, but the extra playability this card provides
would not apply.
Fever of Unrest
- The Dragon played is not considered keyed to anything.
- Will tap all sites in play that meet the requirements.
- Foul Fumes will not continually keeps sites tapped.
Freeze the Flesh
- @ Freeze the Flesh will stop your opponent from gaining kill
marshaling points from your character.
- Must be in the same company as the ring he tests.
- Card Erratum: Add "Giant."
- You may tap Goldberry to cancel an effect declared earlier in the same chain of effects
that would return Goldberry's company to its site of origin.
- Goldberry cannot prevent a company from returning to its site of origin that failed its
roll to move to an adjacent Under-deeps site.
- The text on Gollum is an ability that you can choose to use.
- This card is considered to target both The One Ring and Gollum.
- He may use his special influence ability only during an opponent's movement/hazard
phase. His tapping to use his special ability does not count against the hazard limit.
- Card Erratum: "Unique. Orc. One Strike"
Great Lord of Goblin-gate
- Card Erratum: Replace "opponent draws twice" with "opponent draws up to
- Card Erratum: Add "Tap a character in target company during the organization phase
to play Great Ship on that company." Replace "...contains a coastal sea
region..." with "...contains a coastal sea region and no consecutive non-coastal
- Allows the cancelling of one creature or the cancelling and discarding of an event that
targets the company in question or an entity associated with that company.
- Is triggered by a special ring item being played, but not by items being transferred.
- Card Erratum: Should read "you may discard Gwaihir during the organization phase to
allow his company..."
- If used to heal a Hobbit when healing effects affect all characters in a company, it
will heal all other wounded characters in the company.
- Cannot stop a body check.
Helm of Her Secrecy
- You can play multiple Helms of Her Secrecy in one chain of effects. The player must make
sure that he does not take the option of playing Eowyn out of his hand until the first
copy played is resolved.
Here is a Snake
- Here is a Snake does not prevent the use of hazards already on the table.
Here, There, or Yonder?
- The ally does not have to be chosen or played until after the dice are rolled.
- To play a major item here, Hermit's Hill must be untapped
- Hidden Knife is effectively an attack.
Hold Rebuilt and Repaired
- @ Card Erratum: Add "Playable during the site phase."
- Card Erratum: Add "Playable only at the end of the organization phase."
- Card Erratum: Add "Awakened Plant."
- Card Erratum: Change the Shadow-hold symbol into a Ruins & Lairs symbol.
- @ If two of these are in play, they both trigger at the same time,
and the second one is discarded without effect.
- When copying an attack put on the site by another card it will not copy any other
effects of the card.
- When copying an attack put on the site by another card, the Incite Denizens attack will
disappear if the other card is discarded.
- Only one wounded character has to discard an item, and the hazard player chooses which
character and which item they bear.
- @ The site type for the agent's home site is the one you would use
if you went to visit the site.
- Card Erratum: Replace "Healing card" with "Healing effect."
- Will not duplicate the untap portion of a healing effect on tapped but unwounded
Khamūl the Easterling
- The number of cards discarded is set at the time of declaration.
- The cards are discarded from your opponent's hand.
- The item being replaced by the Leaf Brooch being discarded must be in play to satisfy
any targeting restrictions. When it comes time to discard that item, discard Leaf Brooch
- If used to replace a gold ring after a successful test, the bearer of the gold ring item
gets the special ring item, not the bearer of the Leaf Brooch.
- Allows the cancelling of one creature or the cancelling and discarding of an event that
targets the company in question or an entity associated with that company.
The Lidless Eye
- Playing this card discards its player's Bade to Rule and prevents him from subsequently
playing Bade to Rule.
Long Dark Reach
- The creature does not count against the hazard limit.
- A creature must be played if there is one available.
- Card Erratum: Replace "Discard all revealed cards except the item." with
"Reshuffle all revealed cards except the item back into the play deck." Add at
the end of the first paragraph "Discard item if the scout is wounded by this
- You are not allowed a minor item after the Lucky Search item.
Lure of Expedience
- Will trigger when a gold ring item is tested and a special item is successfully played.
- Will trigger when an item is transferred.
- Can be played on-guard and will trigger a corruption check when revealed in response to
an item played.
Lure of Nature
- Card Erratum: Replace "at the end of each movement/hazard phase" with
"after all other hazards have been played."
- Corruption checks from Lure of Nature do not trigger if its bearer's company returns to
its site of origin.
- The corruption checks caused by Lure of Nature happen at the end of the afflicted
character's movement/hazard phase. Of course, the character's player can play resources to
modify the corruption checks. The hazard player is allowed to play hazards in response, if
the hazard player has enough hazard limit remaining. Hazards so played must directly
affect the corruption checks caused by Lure of Nature. He can play no other hazards, no
creature, no new corruption cards, etc.
Lure of Power
- Two Lure of Powers only force one check at -4, and both are discarded.
- Can be used at the Free Council.
- Card Erratum: The first sentence should read: "Playable at Bag End only if Earth of
Galadriel's Orchard is stored there."
Many Turns and Doublings
- @ If Gates of Morning is in play, Many Turns and Doublings can
cancel hazards by reducing the hazard limit to the point where the hazard resolving is no
longer playable. If this is done to an on-guard card, the card is returned to the player's
Messenger of Mordor
- @ Cards stored with Messenger of Mordor must be storable at a
generic Darkhaven, not a specific one.
- Card Erratum: Should read "This card is used as a Dark-hold site card in the region
of Udun that is moved to..."
More Alert than Most
- The minimum of one strike still applies while Gates of Morning is in play.
More Sense than You
- If there is only one character in the company, the attack is discarded without effect,
but not cancelled.
- To bring a Nazgūl permanent-event back into your hand, Morgul-horse must be declared
after tapping the Nazgūl is declared and before it resolves.
- The alternative effect of this card can be played and resolved before any Nazgūl is
played with it. A Nazgūl must be played as the first declared action in the chain of
effects following the resolution of the alternative effect of Morgul-horse. If a Nazgūl
is not played immediately following the resolution of this card, this card is returned to
its player's hand. This card cannot be played for no effect just to discard it.
- The corruption is received immediately following the attack.
- Morgul Night is not discarded if Doors of Night leaves play.
- If the site type of Mount Doom changes, creatures may be keyed to the new site type, but
not to the old site type.
Mouth of Sauron
- Card Erratum: Replace entire text with: "Warrior only. An influence check against a
faction by a warrior is modified by adding the warrior's prowess to a maximum modifier of
- Muster Disperses cannot be revealed as on-guard card.
- Does not count as Gollum for the purposes of Gollum's Fate or any other card that
specifically calls for Gollum.
- May not be played as a character.
- @ Does not give -1 MP to minions.
- Card Erratum: Add "Does not affect Wizards."
News Must Get Through
- @ Cards stored with News Must Get Through must be storable at a
generic Darkhaven, not a specific one.
- Card Erratum: Add the sentence: "If Noble Hound is tapped or wounded, treat it as
though it were untapped for the purposes of assigning strikes."
Not at Home
- Cannot cancel any attack or automatic-attack except one from a Dragon, Drake, or Troll.
- Card Erratum: Replace "healing cards" with "healing effects."
Old Man Willow
- Card Erratum: Add "Awakened Plant."
- May be used to influence an opponent's faction only when you are attempting to bring
your copy of the faction into play.
The Old Thrush
- Card Erratum: Add "Cannot be duplicated on a given attack."
- Can only be used on agents whose listed prowess is 13 or greater.
The One Ring
- Can be used multiple times in a turn if the corruption checks are successful.
- "Starting prowess" refers to the prowess printed on the character card.
- If the bearer is a Ringwraith, the One Ring does not provide corruption to the
characters in the company.
- @ Cannot be played after a test from storing a gold ring.
Palantś of Amon Sul
- Discard immediately if its company contains less than two characters while moving.
Palantś of Orthanc
- Cannot be used on site cards.
Palantś of Osgiliath
- Discard immediately if its company contains less than four characters while moving.
- @ Only copies tapping effects of other Palantir, not continuous
The Pale Sword
- The corruption is received immediately following the attack.
- You must control both the Pale Sword and the Nazgūl it is played on.
- Can only see the top card of an opponent's discard pile.
Praise to Elbereth
- Nazgūl events discarded by Praise to Elbereth have no effect.
- Which characters are tapping to discard which events must be declared when Praise to
Elbereth is declared.
- Nazgūl permanent-events that are targeted by Praise to Elbereth may not be tapped in
response to its play.
- Card Erratum: Add "Pukel-creature."
- Card Erratum: Replace "is reduced to half its original prowess (rounded up)."
with "is reduced by half (rounded up)."
Rebuild the Town
- Card Erratum: Replace "Playable on" with "Playable during the site phase
- You can use it on hoard items.
Ren the Unclean
- If you tap Ren, then you cannot play resources to aid your character's corruption
checks. Your characters may tap in support.
- The moving player makes corruption checks first. Each player decides the order of the
corruption checks for their characters.
- Card Erratum: This cards gives 2 marshalling points, not 3. Add "You receive the
marshalling points for this card only when it is stored."
- Card Erratum: Replace "healing cards" with "healing effects.
- Card Erratum: Add "Playable only during the site phase. Tap the sage and the
The Ring's Betrayal
- The ring must be chosen at time of declaration if the character bears more than one.
- Card Erratum: Should read "Playable on a site. If a company that has moved to this
site this turn does not tap a ranger, it must do nothing during its site phase."
- You have until the beginning of the site phase to tap a ranger, and you may tap the
ranger at the beginning of the site phase without entering the site.
Röac the Raven
- Card Erratum: Replace "no modifications to the influence check are required."
with "treat this influence check as if it was made by a diplomat."
- His special ability may only be used during the site phase.
- He can make the attempt by himself.
- Using this ally to make an influence attempt does not tap a site, and may be done if his
company is at a tapped site.
Rumor of Wealth
- If Ruse is played by a scout who is the only character in the company, the attack has no
effect. If there is a creature card it is discarded. The attack is considered faced but
- A bearer who did not tap while facing a strike will not tap if the strike is successful.
- A detainment strike will not discard the Sable Shield.
Sacrifice of Form
- Card Erratum: Replace "-3 to any body checks" with "+3 to any body
- After Sacrifice of Form is played, you may not play a different Wizard and your opponent
may not play the Wizard you sacrificed.
- This card is played after strikes are assigned.
- Can be played on a company that does not move.
- Does not work if the site type changes.
- Card Erratum: Change the Border-land symbol in the first line to a Border-hold symbol.
- Goes away when all copies of the site it was played on are discarded.
- Can be avoided with Shadowfax.
Sentinels of Numenor
- Sentinels will not give an extra marshalling point to Army of the Dead.
- Card Erratum: "an additional site card may be played and an additional
- Cannot use his special ability if another ally is in the company.
- Card Erratum: Gives 1 marshalling point, not O. Add "Pukel-creature."
- Card Erratum: Gives 2 marshalling points, not 0. Add "Slayer."
- Only one attack can be cancelled by tapping a character.
- All of the strikes will go against the same character.
- @ Can be influenced at any site they can be played at.
Spider of the Morlat
- Spider attacks from Spider of the Morlat played as a permanent-event are considered
detainment vs. minion companies.
So You've Come Back
- @ If two companies join, and both companies have a So You've Come
Back played on them, the hazard player chooses which one to discard.
Stay Her Appetite
- @ If Stay Her Appetite is played on an ally with no prowess, there
is no attack, but all other affects of the card apply.
- You may not shuffle sudden call into your deck while you are drawing cards. Drawing
cards is an indivisible action.
Summons from Long Sleep
- @ Card Errata: Add "Discard this card after the reserved
- @ Playing the item will tap the site if it is not already tapped.
- Card Erratum: Replace "...to play any item normally found at its current
site." with "...to play a minor, major, or gold ring item normally found at its
Tidings of Bold Spies
- @ Tidings of Bold Spies only copies attacks, not effects that
allow certain creatures to become automatic-attacks.
- Card Erratum: Should read: "Playable: Items (minor, major, greater*) *Scroll of
- Allows the cancelling of one creature or the cancelling and discarding of an event that
targets the company in question or an entity associated with that company.
- Card Erratum: Replace the last paragraph with "This card is discarded when a
character fails his corruption check."
- Two Traitors have no extra effect and are both discarded.
- Traitor cannot be revealed as an on-guard card.
- @ This is an attack with the same race as the character attacking,
and a normal prowess of ten plus the character's prowess.
- Card Erratum: Replace "Redhorn Gap" with "Redhorn Gate."
- Combat modifiers that modify prowess only against a strike do not count when determining
the Wizard's prowess.
- When this spell is used against an agent, the agent does not receive the two 6-sided
- Card Erratum: Add "This card may be played at any time during any player's
- Can target a card that has not yet resolved.
- Can be played as a resource during your opponent's turn.
- You cannot play Morannon at The Under-galleries. However, you can play Ancient Stair
from Morannon, move to The Under-galleries, and zip back to Morannon at the end of the
- Card Erratum: Change text to "Sage only. Tap sage to enable him to use one Palantś
he bears for the rest of the turn."
Veils Flung Away
- Card Erratum: Each body check is modified by -1, not +1.
- Card Erratum: Vilya should now read: "Playable on Elrond only. +4 prowess, +2 body,
+6 direct influence until the end of the turn. If Elrond is at Rivendell and your play
deck has at least 5 cards in it, you may take 3 resource cards of your choice from your
discard pile and shuffle them into your play deck. Elrond makes a corruption check
modified by -3. Cannot be duplicated on a given turn."
We Have Come to Kill
- @ We Have Come to Kill may be used to bring in agents, but not
Where There's a Whip
- Only characters with a mind and prowess less than the Whip bearer's will untap.
The White Tree
- Card Erratum: Add "Discard the Sapling of the White Tree."
The Windlord Found Me
- Can be used to recover a Wizard discarded with Sacrifice of Form.
- You can play your Wizard at the Haven when you store this card even if Saw Further and
Deeper is in play.
Witch-king of Angmar
- Although he becomes a long-event when tapped, he is discarded when the effect resolves
just like other Nazgūl. The long-event effect will remain until the appropriate time.
Withdrawn to Mordor
- @ To discard an on-guard card with Withdrawn to Mordor you must do
so before the card is revealed.
- Card Erratum: Change "Wizard only." to "Wizard only during opponent's
- Card Erratum: Replace "Ignore any effect that would discard this item" with
"Cannot be stored, stolen, or transferred."
Woses of Eryn Vorn
- @ Card errata (minion version): Change "Man faction" to
Return to Rules Page